Our company stands strongly on the pillars of quality-service, integrity, accountability, and commitment to our clients. 


+91 70713-70713
+91 80546-31004

New Market Railway Road, Nawanshahr (S.B.S. Nagar)


The UK Dependant Visa is for the family members of people who have, or are applying for, visas various work categories including the Worker routes (formerly Tier 2), Temporary Worker routes (formerly Tier 5) as well as Representatives of overseas business, Innovators, Global Talent migrants and those with visas granted on the basis of UK ancestry. We can enhance the chance that your dependent family members are permitted to accompany you to the UK – so that you can embark on your new adventure, free from stress and worry.

As a focused immigration firm, we provide friendly, responsive, accurate legal advice and information that you can rely on.  By instructing us to manage your entire family’s application for leave to enter the UK, you can be confident you receive right legal advice and strong legal representation.

Who Can Apply for a UK Dependent Visa?

To qualify for a Dependant Visa, you must be a dependant family member of a qualifying migrant.  The Immigration Rules define a ‘dependant’ as being a:

  • Husband, wife or civil partner;
  • Unmarried or same-sex partner;
  • Child aged under 18 years at the time of application.

It is highly unlikely that any other family members would be successful in claiming dependant status for the purposes of a Dependant Visa.

To obtain a Dependant Visa as a spouse or partner, you must be the spouse or partner of someone who is either:

  • In the UK on a relevant visa, or
  • Applying for a visa at the same time as you are making your application for a Dependant Visa

Same-sex or unmarried partners must also be able to show they have been in a subsisting genuine relationship akin to marriage for the past two years.

Children may apply for a Dependant Visa if:

  • Both parents are applying for entry-clearance at the same time, or;
  • Both parents are already in the UK and the child is applying to join them, or;
  • One parent is already in the UK and the other parent is applying for entry-clearance to join them along with the child.

Children can only apply for a Dependant visa of a sole parent if:-

  • The parent is the only surviving parent; or
  • The parent has sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or
  • There are serious or compelling reasons for why the child can exceptionally apply as the dependant of only one of his/her parents.

An essential requirement of the Dependant Visa is that the family have enough money to support themselves without having to rely on public funds.  For example, if the main applicant is applying for a Skilled Worker Visa, they will need to show that they have £285 in savings for the dependent partner plus an extra £315 in savings for the first dependent child and £200 for each additional dependent child.  However, if a Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence holder with an A-rating can certify that these funds will be made available, the applicant may not have to provide proof funds availability.

How Do I Apply for a Dependant Visa?

Applications for a Dependant Visa can be made inside or outside the UK, and online (unless the applicant is from North Korea).  Our expert lawyers will assist you and make the process seamless.

What Documents Do I Need to Provide to Apply for a UK PBS Dependant Visa?

You will need to include the following documents in your application (Note: This is not an exhaustive list):

  • A passport or other valid travel document
  • Marriage Certificate for Spouse or Birth Certificate for Child
  • Bank statements
  • Evidence of relationship between the dependant and main applicant
  • The results of your tuberculosis test (if applicable)
  • The result of a criminal record check (if applicable)

We will assist you with collating the required documents for your entire family.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) are typically rigid in requiring that all documentation must be accurate and meet the stated specifications.  Failure to comply means your application risks refusal or rejection.  Any documents that are not written in the official languages of the UK (English or Welsh) must be translated by a certified professional translator.

In addition, the UKVI can enact checks to verify documentation for validity and accuracy. Any anomalies may lead to suspicion of deception, which may not only lead to application refusal but also can incur a 10 year ban on being granted entry clearance to the UK in future.

What is the processing time for the Dependant visa?

From outside the UK, a Dependant visa could take 12 weeks to be processed, from the date of your visa appointment.

For an additional fee the application can be submitted using the priority service, which would normally expedite the decision to within 5 working days.

From inside the UK, the current service standard is 8 weeks, from the appointment date.

There are priority and super priority services available for an additional cost. The priority service expedites the decision to 5 working days and the super priority expedites the decision to 24 hours.

What are the fees for a Dependant visa in the UK?

The dependent visa fee is charged in line with the main applicant.

Each dependent is also subject to the Immigration Health surcharge, which is currently £624 per year for adults and £470 per year for child applicants.

Inside the UK, there is a biometric enrolment fee of £19.20.

Fees for Skilled Worker dependents are as follows:

Skilled Worker dependent – 3 year visa – entry clearance – £610

Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation List) – 3 year visa – entry clearance £464

Skilled Worker dependant – 5 year visa – – entry clearance £1,220

Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation List) – 5 year visa  – entry clearance £928

Skilled Worker dependant – 3 year visa – leave to remain – £704

Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation List) – 3 year visa– leave to remain £464

Skilled Worker dependant – 5 year visa– leave to remain £1408

Skilled Worker (Shortage Occupation List) – 5 year visa– leave to remain £928

Entry Clearance and Leave to Remain Fees for dependents of other visa categories can also be found on the Home Office’s current fee list, including:

  • Health and Care Visa
  • Sole Representative
  • Innovator
  • Ancestry
  • Intra-Company Transfer Graduate Trainee
  • Temporary Workers

What Are the Advantages of a PBS Dependant Visa?

As a dependant, you will be able to work and study in the UK (with some restrictions), and children will be able to go to either a state or private school.  And of course, your family will remain together, able to enjoy living in a new country.

In addition, after a completing a relevant qualifying period, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

What are the requirements for a dependant visa in the UK?

The dependant must be able to:-

  • Prove their Identity;
  • Prove their relationship to the main applicant;
  • Intend to live with their sponsor in the UK for the duration of their visa;
  • Have enough funds to support themselves without public funds (i.e. benefits).

What are the rules for the UK’s dependent visa?

The rules for dependent visas vary depending on the dependent route applied for. In all cases, partners must show that they are in a genuine subsisting relationship and that they intend to live with their partner in the UK. Children must be under 18 years old, unless, having subsequently turned 18 further to an application or original grant of (continuous) leave as a dependant.

In most cases the applicant will need to show that they can maintain and accommodate themselves in the UK without recourse to public funds (i.e. state benefits). Skilled Worker dependants may need to show a specified level of funds in their bank account or have a certification of maintenance from the Skilled Worker’s sponsoring employer. Other dependants, such as dependants of UK ancestry holders, may be able to show evidence of “adequate” funds without a specific level needing to be met.

What are the eligibility requirements for a Dependant Visa?

Only qualifying family members can apply for a dependent visa. This includes:-

  • Spouses
  • Civil partners
  • Unmarried partners (in a provable durable relationship)
  • Children under 18 years old at the date of application (dependent children who are over 18 can apply for extensions under the dependent category, provided they have held continuous leave as dependents since they were under 18)

Partners will need to prove that they are in a genuine relationship with the Main applicant and that they intend to live with their partner in the UK.

Children must not be leading an independent life (i.e. financially independent).

Kanwar Arora is known as an Immigration and International Consultant helping prospective students go for quality education across the world. He is committed to providing the best services to the students and helping them realize their dream of studying overseas. Dial +91 70713-70713 to book your free counselling session with him.

Visit Us Daily

New Market Railway Road, Nawanshahr (S.B.S. Nagar)

Have Any Questions?

+91 70713-70713
+91 80546-31004

Mail Us